News:

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Welcome to the WDL!  (Read 10225 times)

Ralphis

• 0 time WDL Champion
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
Welcome to the WDL!
« on: June 15, 2014, 06:50:02 PM »
Welcome to the launch of the World Doom League! I'm Ralphis, the commissioner of the WDL. >> SIGN UP HERE <<

Signups for the inaugural WDL Summer 2014 season are now underway! Though the WDL will certainly have a number of experienced veteran players, the league hopes to expand the community in as short a time as possible. That is why we want YOU to come and take the opportunity to "buy in" on the ground floor of this new community. If you try it, you just may love it.

I'm sure that some people have some basic questions about the WDL so here are some quick blurbs that may bring you up to speed.

What is the World Doom League?

The WDL is a brand new 3-on-3 CTF league, played on Odamex, and built on tried and true competitive traditions. In the WDL, 4 man teams are built when captains take turns selecting players through what is known as the "draft".

The WDL is currently projected to be comprised of of six to eight teams. These teams will compete in a "regular season" schedule that allows them to qualify for a playoff tournament, a concept you're surely familiar with if you follow any major professional sport organization. The regular season lasts five weeks with an additional two weeks of playoff contention.

The WDL is currently an OPEN league. However, the league reserves the right to deny free agency to select players under certain conditions. Players from 4 continents and over half a dozen countries have already commited to playing in the first season. Those who show a proactive, vested interest in the the league, the game, and the community are most likely to receive free agency invitations.

How can I get involved?

That's simple!

The easiest way to get involved with the WDL is to play Private CTF. Private CTF are organized games of Capture the Flag played on private servers only available to members of the community. Don't worry though, you don't have to sign up for anything to play. All you have to do is visit us on IRC and jump into a game!

The IRC server information for the WDL is as follows:

Server: irc.quakenet.org
Channel: #wdl

Will I make it onto a WDL team?

While there is no guarantee that a new player will make it onto an WDL roster, dedication to the game and the apparent will to do well at it will take you a long way in the process of securing a roster spot. Even backups and free agents usually get an opportunity to play in WDL games. Some of CTFs brightest stars have come from stepping up when opportunity calls.

Even if you do not secure a spot on a team through the WDL Draft, a continued interest may allow you to enter the league during the season by means of a "free agent signing". By receiving and accepting an invite, you are immediately a free agent and can be picked up onto any roster up until the league trading deadlines.

How does the WDL benefit me?

Although some free agents may not make it onto a team, being involved in the WDL community has its benefits. Aside from playing with some of the best CTF players in the world daily, by means of private CTF or WDL league activity, many great friendships have been born out of past endeavors (such as the WDL's spiritual predecessor, the IDL).

Leagues like the WDL have gone a long way by uniting once rival doomers and turning them into respected opponents and, more importantly, close friends. The WDL scene could be daunting at first, and most players have to work for acceptance, but the bonds within the WDL are some of the closest I've ever seen with over 15 years in the Doom Community.

So what are you waiting for? Check out the website and forums, and more importantly, come see us on IRC and get ready for the upcoming season!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 05:12:07 PM by Ralphis »

Tony

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to the WDL!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 09:53:19 PM »
Yeah! Get psych'd up!

Zakken

• Hall of Famer
  • Welcome 2 Your Own Death
    • View Profile