News:

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Winter 2015 Hall of Fame  (Read 7311 times)

Zakken

• Hall of Famer
  • Welcome 2 Your Own Death
    • View Profile
    • nhentai
Winter 2015 Hall of Fame
« on: March 18, 2015, 03:30:32 PM »
Surely we've got all-star now, but I'll still present to you my second hall of fame! Let's take a look at who contributed to the league with many good impressions and such. As before, these are just my opinions, so take from that what you will.

[WUMBO] Water: This one goes without saying. Winning a season is not for everyone, and there sure as hell aren't many who can do it twice in a row. Water made an excellent draft which pretty much gave him the necessary leeway to dominate the season all around. He brought out the best from his teammates, but he himself played amazing in every game. His team practiced like crazy at the start of the season, and maintained their shape until the very end by playing regularly and making sure to bring out their A game. His unmatched dedication and intellect has earned him yet another championship, and us other captains will have to step up our game, or else he could easily win his 3rd season in a row!

[WUMBO] Torvald: Also known as Water's brother, Tor was a starter for this season and he definitely did not disappoint his captain sibling! While many teams this season had a prominent weakest link, he made sure to do his bread and butter just good enough to make sure that Wumbo would reign victorious over every other team without being exploited. His Mid plays in many maps have proven to be very professional and effective, probably thanks to Water's guidance. Tor deserves some praise as possibly the greatest 3rd player of this season, and I do hope he ends up in a team that knows how to put him to good use this Summer.

[WUMBO] Yorick: Everybody can agree that this guy was a monster this season. Who would've guessed that Yorick was such a brick wall at defending? Wumbo only got scored on 21 times during the 113 minutes they spent playing, which roughly amounts to 1 capture per 5:30 minutes! One could argue that Yorick was an even larger threat than Water himself. With Tor's assistance, his defense for Wumbo was arguably the strongest of the season, with skillful aim, great timing and tactical push-ups and fall-backs. On the previous season, I said that he could be one of WDL's signature runners, but it turns out he's become one of WDL's signature players period. His excellence in versatility would allow him to do greatly no matter the team he's put in. Water was fortunate to see that in him and drafted him long before other captains (myself included) could've realized how cheap he was auctioned by.

[GPS] Jwarrier: Jwar is another starter who came in with guns blazing, making a name for himself in GPS as soon as he got in. For this particular season, he played one powerhouse of a defense, with very high K/D ratios and high efficiency stats in almost all games, though he knows how to play every position well. A professional at exerting pressure, with a burning passion to play and practice often, he has a lot going on for him. While he was not so lucky this season, it is likely that he will become part of one of the top teams next season. Underestimate him at your own peril.

[SUC] HumanBones: A rather surprising addition to the WDL roster, Bones was definitely one of the top players of the season. He got the most votes for the All-Star selection for a reason, after all! He showed what he's made of by getting the highest K/D ratio of the season: his absurd brawn at defense and overall reliability has made the Ralph/Bones combo a team to be feared for a while. Couldn't have expected anything less from one of the longest-running and active CTF players in this community. Bones has a promising future, and any team that grabs him this Summer should almost guarantee playoff-worthy results, if he does not decide to become a captain himself, that is. Lastly, managing the upcoming All-Star event was a very nice idea of his, which is going to be very exciting and fun.

[NSP] Rude: Neatly enough, Rude overcame some of his weaknesses from the previous season, and drafted a strong team to boot. NSP was a nice-looking improvement over SUPER, and his team as a whole proved to be a lot more capable of achieving positive results than the previous. NSP's only glaring issue was their apparent lack of practice, but when push came to shove, they were a very strong team, by defeating SUC in week 3, easily beating SSG in week 5, and taking their playoff game vs SDC to all 5 rounds. Of course, Rude himself was no slouch: he was one of the best runners, with super strong pressure, intelligent positioning and fast reflexes, giving NSP a good offensive edge. Depending on who Rude drafts next season, and if he practices more often, he could actually get to the finals! Who knows.

[NSP] DevastatioN: It's always nice to see Dev show his face to play some CTF during the winter season, and he showed that he's still a very strong player for his first WDL appearance. Demonstrating excellence on defense, he was essential for NSP's success in games, being a formidable opponent even for the top teams. I heard that he might have quit Doom now that the season is over, and that is very saddening. But if he came back, that would be swell!

Like before, viewers are encouraged to comment and/or make their own halls of fame. Send in your thoughts!

capo

• Banned
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • FW ON TOP!
Re: Winter 2015 Hall of Fame
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 04:40:29 PM »
alt_stab - i think he was one of the best attackers this season, showed some nice tricky runs, definitely promise for the future

ralphis - i think ralphis now and in 2010 is different :) but his speed and his grind tricky runs were still deadly for every defender this season

rude - for me best player on NSP. i think he had really not easy role put shit together with this inactive team though godly team, he went really far and i think if playoff map was different his team was in final

water - he bet in draft on new blood and won, for someone maybe a bit suprise, but he definitely deserve the title. There was not better coordinated and tactic team in league this season and its all his work

zakken - he can be annoying and whatnot :D but i think he is one of the best defenders in league without doubt, grinding and knowing every map and fast adaptable to new maps, the title was close for him this season.

Torvald

• Veteran
  • RK_N0va
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 05:55:52 PM »
the greatest 2nd player of this season

Fixed that for you <3

Also why is Ralphis not on this list? He is arguably the most electrifying man in doom, is he not?

Zakken

• Hall of Famer
  • Welcome 2 Your Own Death
    • View Profile
    • nhentai
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 06:30:22 PM »
Fixed that for you <3
B-But my boy Yorick...

Also why is Ralphis not on this list? He is arguably the most electrifying man in doom, is he not?
Yes, he's one of the best, although in my opinion, his draft this season left a bit to be desired. His 3rd, Tony, did not care much for practicing and being available regularly and only played two games, while his 4th, Perrondon, had expected lag issues in most of his matches, forcing Ralph and Bones to carry the team through most games. Ralph's got a lot of potential obviously, but I don't think he's shown all of it in this league just yet. It's up to him to draft a killer team in the future if he wants to have real chances of winning a season.

-Alpha-

• Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 10:12:31 AM »
[SSG] Alpha : Best player in the team
[WUMBO] Alpha : Best player to lead the team to winning the championship
[SDC] Alpha : Best bench player in the team
[SUC] Alpha : Best  non-appearing player in the team
[GPS] Alpha : Best pea soup maker in the team
[NSP] Alpha : Best quakecon player in the team
Alpha: Best player in doom history

Ralphis

• 0 time WDL Champion
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 12:20:41 PM »
Wazzup was a top 3 player this season easily

Jwarrier

• Posts too much
  • REG
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 09:17:06 AM »
#1 [WUMBO]Water - League MVP
Water is a player that can make any team click, he will step into any piece of the puzzle that is necessary for victory.  He is calm, focused, and determined.  He did a great job with his draft and he took what he had and made it championship material.  He made the guys he played with play championship caliber and that is what makes a great captain.  For this water gets my #1 overall player for Winter 2014 WDL.

#2 [WUMBO]Yorick
Yorick I know is a good player but I feel like with the lineup he had this season he was able to play at a pace that was above and beyond any other defender this league had this season.  His defense was about control, and while he had plenty of support from his teammates, it was quite clear he was able to control the game for WUMBO.  His defense was solid, his ability to switch to support at a moments notice was superb.  Nice job Yorick!

#3 [SDC]Wazzup
Contrary to what Zakken feels the best player in the league outside of a WUMBO player is without a doubt Wazzup.  #1 cap/min by a long shot, #1 cap/min if you take out his pickup caps as well.  Wazzup was the pure fire power of SDC.  His goal was to assert absolute pressure, I would say he achieved his goal almost every match.  He was in the right place at the right time, but his runs... they were something else.  Best mid in the league by a long shot!

#4 [SUC]Humanbones
The play style of SUC the whole season was 2 offense.  They were fierce on pressure, but a lot of times the teams facing SUC responded with a similar approach.  HB was able to play a season of 1 on 2 defense and do it with a decent 2.85 caps allowed per game.  He was calm and a frag powerhouse when needed.  His defense was one of the reasons this team got to the playoffs even with struggling to find their true third player. 

#5 [NSP]Rude
NSP had a lot of frag power, but this team was stubborn.  Not enough practice, not enough chemistry.  I am surprised they got where they did.  While Xen and Dev both had moments of genius I feel like Rude was the MVP of this team.  During the season he played every position, and he did every position well.  The best part was crunch time when he would step it up every time. 

#6 [SUC]Ralphis
I feel like SUC played  a season of 2.5 v 3, their third player was always unpredictable, and most of the time just playing a distraction for Ralphis's fantastic assertiveness.  Ralphis cap rate was great at 9% but his touches were an amazing 211.  Only Alt_Stab was closest. 

Ralphis

• 0 time WDL Champion
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 06:31:43 PM »
Wazzup was an offensive monster this season. Look at how he compared to the league's other scorers:

Total Captures Per Minute (Clean captures + Pickup Captures)
----------------------
Wazzup      0.241
Ralphis      0.165
Alt_Stab   0.159
DevastatioN   0.147
Water      0.142
Rude      0.130
Tai      0.118
Torvald      0.116
DemonSphere   0.116
Xenaero      0.095

Clean Captures Per Minute (No pickup captures)
----------------------
Wazzup      0.147
Alt_Stab   0.124
Ralphis      0.113
DemonSphere   0.097
Rude      0.095
Water      0.088
Tai      0.086
DevastatioN   0.078
Xenaero      0.069
Torvald      0.068