News:

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: WDL W2017 Pre-season Discussion  (Read 6216 times)

Awup

• Rookie
  • FRAG SYNDICATE
    • View Profile
WDL W2017 Pre-season Discussion
« on: January 12, 2017, 03:02:23 PM »
Yay Avc :-]
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 05:09:31 PM by Ralphis »

Avc

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: WDL W2017 Pre-season Discussion
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 04:09:19 PM »
ayy lmao?

Zakken

• Hall of Famer
  • Welcome 2 Your Own Death
    • View Profile
    • nhentai
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 12:30:46 PM »
What was the rationale for removing MAP05 and MAP28 from this year's WAD? :austin

Ralphis

• 0 time WDL Champion
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 12:34:02 PM »
They stink and nobody plays them

Zakken

• Hall of Famer
  • Welcome 2 Your Own Death
    • View Profile
    • nhentai
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 01:02:46 PM »
How, though?? They used to be so popular, picked somewhat often in priv and provided good matches in WDL and IDL seasons. I find it hard to believe everyone collectively decided to let them collect dust in a year's time. MAP28's replacement in particular not being that good in comparison makes this decision even less sound to me.

Jwarrier

• Posts too much
  • REG
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 01:51:17 PM »
They needed to go due to absolute boredom, hopefully map01 will follow suit.

HumanBones

• Still a Dirty Fetus
  • Administrator
  • Posts too much
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 02:05:56 PM »
There was nothing particularly special about map05. I'm not sure when it first got on the radar enough to get into the IDL wad, but I blame myself for letting it become as popular as it did by including it in several season maplists. The WDL has progressively moved away from these types of "DM" CTF maps that really don't have much strategy (map14, the old zdctf18, etc) and I think their replacements have managed to produce much better gameplay.

Map28 really was played out, it dropped out of priv rotation pretty rapidly and then the decision to replace the more well known version with the newer one proved to be unsuccessful.

Ralphis

• 0 time WDL Champion
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 08:57:26 PM »
How, though?? They used to be so popular, picked somewhat often in priv and provided good matches in WDL and IDL seasons. I find it hard to believe everyone collectively decided to let them collect dust in a year's time. MAP28's replacement in particular not being that good in comparison makes this decision even less sound to me.

The old map28 was literally only good because it had two spawns because the map was broken in zdaemon/odamex. The new version stunk and the new map28 seems at least interesting. The maps are played out, the league has changed, and it was time to try something new

Rude

• Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 07:47:30 AM »
RIP map28, map05, map14

Ill be holding a remembrance ceremony 2/15 if any are interested. All are welcome to attend.  If you come to start a ruckus however you will be politely asked to leave..

RoSKing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 08:07:11 PM »

The old map28 was literally only good because it had two spawns because the map was broken in zdaemon/odamex. The new version stunk and the new map28 seems at least interesting. The maps are played out, the league has changed, and it was time to try something new

The two spawn idea isnt true at all? It was and is still played very much without the two spawn idea, and I made the map when I was around 15 years old. The spawns werent initially perfect and I dont expect people to like how I initially put them. But you can say the same thing about any map (it could be fixed). Honestly, I sense a bias here. But who am I to judge about anything.

Ralphis

• 0 time WDL Champion
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 10:35:40 AM »

The two spawn idea isnt true at all? It was and is still played very much without the two spawn idea, and I made the map when I was around 15 years old. The spawns werent initially perfect and I dont expect people to like how I initially put them. But you can say the same thing about any map (it could be fixed). Honestly, I sense a bias here. But who am I to judge about anything.

There is a strong bias - in favor of good maps. We put the new version of 28 into the wad last year and, after a year of it being in the wad, it was one of the least played and most disliked in the pack. It had a long run in its old form but the ship has sailed. There are much better maps in Core and other wads that deserve a shot.