News:

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Your favourite matches from any season  (Read 12491 times)

Zakken

• Hall of Famer
  • Welcome 2 Your Own Death
    • View Profile
    • nhentai
Your favourite matches from any season
« on: March 05, 2018, 11:11:12 AM »
What the title says. It can be matches you played, or matches you just spectated! I'll start:

My favourite Summer 2014 match was week 2 vs SUC (Ralphis, RottKing, Heks) on MAP06. I had Yorick and Legion in my team and it seemed like an underdog team on paper (I believe most teams were banking on SUC beating us), but in spite of losing round 1, we managed to mount a comeback and turned the game around as our very first victory in the league. I was especially happy considering Map06 isn't one of my strong suits, and my team did a stellar job backing me up, building a strong momentum that would last for the whole regular season.

My favourite from Winter 2015 was week 2 vs GPS (Alt_Stab, Jwarrier, Legion) on MAP23. We lost a close game 1, and I clearly remember Tai telling us we'd get them next time and to stick to our plan, which really helped me keep my worries in check and my mentality focused. We had a really good season overall, but this one particular game really made me glad I drafted Tai!!!

On Winter 2017, my favourite match was week 3 vs SUC (Ralphis, Dranzer, Hopes) on MAP18. It was our first game with a new teammate, Rude, and I was really excited to play this one, given how well-coordinated we were in practise. We overall played very optimally and it was still a close game, with a comeback similar to season 1's. Our playoff game vs SXP gets a honourable mention simply because of how intense it was, even though I played bad...

On Fall 2017, the one match I enjoyed the most was, yet again, against SUC (Ralphis, Jwarrier, Souler and SkullRush) on maps 28 and 08 in the playoff semifinals. We were down 0-2 and on the verge of elimination. I was tilted for a while, until I managed to talk myself into staying focused and envisioning a comeback, and as fate would have it, Caution jumpstarted the momentum shift by scoring a last-second cap on round 3. The rest of the game was still quite rough, but I'm so happy that I managed to pull off something that my past self of inferior mentality couldn't have. That whole season was a series of hard-earned matches, but this one was easily my hardest hurdle.

r4z0r

• Unsportsmanlike
  • Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Your favourite matches from any season
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 07:32:55 PM »
i like the matches where i won

Zakken

• Hall of Famer
  • Welcome 2 Your Own Death
    • View Profile
    • nhentai
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 11:06:02 PM »
i like the matches where i won
All 2 of them?

Alt_Stab

• WDL Treasurer
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 05:05:45 AM »
Season 3 Playoff Semifinals, GPS vs SUC. 28 flags were scored over six grueling rounds on maps 32 and 25. Every round but one went the distance totaling 57 wrist breaking minutes, and it included a nail-biter in round 5 that ended in a tie, and a round 6 that saw GPS come back from down 2-0 and then 3-2 to win by 1 point in the final minutes. Best match I've ever been a part of.   
:doomgrin2

Jwarrier

• Posts too much
  • REG
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 05:12:21 AM »
The game that really stands out to me is my first WDL match against NSP in season 2. 

http://doomleague.org/games/?game=21

It was Stab, Legion, and myself vs Rude, Dev, and Xen and each round ended in a draw with last second captures by my team to tie the game.  We were out manned, out fragged and yet no one on my team wanted to lose so we fought back each round to eventually earn our first 2 points of the season.  Hell of a game.

SkullRush

• Rookie
  • Check my YT channel booiis! https://goo.gl/8a4XSN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 04:55:14 PM »
My debut in last season, it was Map21, the favorite map of Oj.
When he saw the schedule and that he was gonna face me he sent me a dm at irc saying like "Good luck you are gonna get destroyed its my favorite map", so i was like "OH SHIT LMAO"

I knew Tai, he wasnt easy to play against and Dranzer has been always a heavy fragger, razor tho? meh!

But it was my debut, my first ever WDL match, i wanted to win, i had no idea of what was gonna happen, i was literally 100% lost, and i almost got late lmao.
The match started and i was already shakin like crazy and all that shit, i was hella excited! But during the match i started to calm down cuz i saw that it wasnt gonna be that hard cuz Ralphis is the best runner alive and Jwarrier was carrying me easily.

In the end of the day SUC beat TPT 2-0.
Thats for sure my favorite match!

Ralphis

• 0 time WDL Champion
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 05:50:01 PM »
I'm gonna post my most memorable matches from each season, maybe not necessarily favorites. A few losses in here. This isn't an exhaustive list, I liked many more matches than this.

Season 1 - Wildcard Playoffs - vs StarDust Crusaders
--------------------------------------------------------------
My last time playing with RottKing. We won in 4 rounds on SDC's homefield in a nearly 40 minute game. Back then, it was one map every single round. We won the first round, then lost 5-0 in the second. From then on, we took control and chipped away at them. Starrk played a great defense. Unfortunately we went on and lost to ADD in the finals, but that was a fun season in the WDL's infancy.

Season 2 - Week 4 - vs Giant Pea Shooters
This was a hard pick. Our starters this season were mostly me, Bones, and Perro. Tony was also on our squad but didn't play a ton. It was Bones' first season in the league after the IDL ended. In week 1, we smacked the shit out of Water and his brother but my favorite match was actually against rookie captain Stab, WDL rookie Jwarrier, and Legion on map31. I remember a lot of trash talk and we were able to narrowly beat them in two rounds which put them out of the playoffs. We got bounced too but, yea, suck it boys.

Season 3 - Wildcard Playoffs - vs Giant Pea Shooters
Hey, another game against Stab. This is one of the best games in WDL history. If there was ever a list, this is on it. We smashed GPS early in the season on our homefield, but they actually figure out a strategy and steal a round from us to start the game. We lose the game in 6 rounds in a game that lasted 57:22. There were a lot of ups and downs in this game on both sides and it's one of the games that I remember most. I was also proud of Stab for finally sticking it to me after I beat his ass in the prior two meetings. Bones and Starrk were a fun team to play with - this was also the season where Dranzer started to make a case to start.

Season 4 - Week 3 - vs Overrated ScumWads
Hey, this wasn't the most exciting game ever. We played against Alpha's squad of TurSKA and Xenaero. This was a team where I managed to draft Blair and Tony and every single thing clicked this week. We practiced a very specific offense and we put it down hard on a very good team of fraggers. In round 2 we ran the offense we had hid most of the week and won in about 5 minutes with two scores in the first minute. Not great for spectators, but great for our team.

Season 5 - Week 3 - vs The Dream Team
I thought I had a good draft this season with Caution and Tony - but we didn't do shit. I think it's the only time I've ever missed the playoffs in a full season. Alpha didn't end up making it to this game, I was out at a party with Tony and Tony had to play drunk. DemonSphere, turSKA, and dingdang whooped our ass. Probably the worst loss I've ever been a part of. Sad!

Season 6 - Week 5 - vs Super Dank Memes
The season of the live, in-person draft. A lot of fun. Starrk was captain of SDM with Caution and Xenaero and I had traded to have a team of Blair and Tony again. In the final week of the season, a lot of playoff hopes were on the line. I was able to score in the 3rd round with 17 seconds left on the clock to push us into the win column and cost SDM a point. Because they lost that point, they went from making the playoffs to being ELIMINATED. Hell yeah. Sorry boys. We went on to lose the next week to DS and TDT, but it was a great end to the regular season.

Season 7 - Wildcard Playoffs - vs Regulators
Not my favorite game ever, but the most memorable from this season for me. I drafted Dranzer as the main piece on my squad and he delivered. We had used Hopes and Dosu throughout the season and they did well, but we were going to start Hopes in the playoffs against the Regulators. Anyway, Hopes no-showed me and Dranzer because the concept of an alarm is foreign to him even though we talked about the game time like 20 times the night before. We signed dastan from free agency that morning and played our playoff game and lost. However, considering we never played with Dastan prior to this game, we still won a round once we got rolling. Dranzer played like a beast and Dastan showed that he's the real deal. Hopes never apologized despite having some sort of excuse.

Season 8 - Semi-Final Playoffs - vs Techno Vikings
A hard fought game that we should've win, but we came up short. Our team was me, Jwarrier, Souler, and SkullRush. I started all 4 players because SkullRush earned his chance to play a meaningful game with his work earlier in the season. We picked Souler up in week 4. Caution, Zakken, and Infer played great and we had them against the ropes, but Caution made the most clutch play of his career and scored with 2 seconds remaining in round 3 to tilt the round count to 2-1. Had he not done that, we would've had a much higher likelihood of winning. Props to him. Anyway, we lost and that sucked but TKV was a great team and they went on to be the only team outside of #1 to win the title.

Rude

• Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 06:34:32 AM »
The game that really stands out to me is my first WDL match against NSP in season 2. 

It was Stab, Legion, and myself vs Rude, Dev, and Xen and each round ended in a draw with last second captures by my team to tie the game.  We were out manned, out fragged and yet no one on my team wanted to lose so we fought back each round to eventually earn our first 2 points of the season.  Hell of a game.

OH MY GOD THIS GAME LOL. Definitely on my list of heartattack games

Xenaero

• Hall of Famer
  • http://xen.unidoom.org/christmas.mp3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 01:26:24 PM »
I can't remember which IDL season it was, but was an original map11 game in the playoffs with me doomguy and bones, and we were tied until 0 seconds left when Saber captured the last flag against us, knocking us out.

It's definitely memorable and you couldn't ask for a tighter playoff game.

Ralphis

• 0 time WDL Champion
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 08:40:10 AM »
I can't remember which IDL season it was, but was an original map11 game in the playoffs with me doomguy and bones, and we were tied until 0 seconds left when Saber captured the last flag against us, knocking us out.

It's definitely memorable and you couldn't ask for a tighter playoff game.

Pretty sure that was the first season of IDL. Sex Gods vs Shaq Fu

-Alpha-

• Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 05:50:36 PM »
All the games during my freshmen year of being a captain. It was fun, especially in week 1 against caution's team or was it jwar's, where we were close throughout the game, but yeah, i lost. And against Bone's team, I think we were up at one point close to winning the week, but yeah, i suck.
the week against Ralphis' team, was just, awful from me like any other week. I felt terrible for being team captain, just blew me up. week 2 against stab's team was really fun, it was a close game as well, close to winning the week, but 'sucking' strikes again. nevermind, i looked back, week 1 was rolled over, but i felt it was close.
then comes week 5, vs legend DS, now those games, were close, was looking forward to that match since the draft. took a win from him, glad i can say, i beat ds with my team. rest in peace brother.
it was fun for me, sorry for being the anchor of the team :\

Xenaero

• Hall of Famer
  • http://xen.unidoom.org/christmas.mp3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 09:58:51 PM »

I cannot remember why on earth I was running that game, wtf