News:

Login  |  Register

Poll

What location would you choose for a dedicated server?

Chicago,IL
7 (46.7%)
Dallas,TX
5 (33.3%)
NJ
2 (13.3%)
NY
1 (6.7%)
Don't waste money
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Dedicated Servers  (Read 6856 times)

DemonSphere

• Walk into it
  • Hall of Famer
  • WDL Legend
    • View Profile
Dedicated Servers
« on: January 28, 2015, 05:07:05 PM »
Hello, recently I've noticed we've switched from Capo hosting to Wazzup to Rude. I believe all were on a VM and not dedicated. I'd love for all of us to have a great experience this season, and a dedicated server I think would be wonderful because we'd have it all to ourselves and not have to worry about what another jackass is doing. That being said  I'd like to hear everyones opinion on where we should host this and who we should use as a provider. Colocrossing and Swiftnode are my top to choices for the provider.

Xenaero

• Hall of Famer
  • http://xen.unidoom.org/christmas.mp3
    • View Profile
Re: Dedicated Servers
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 05:27:26 PM »
For location, I'd pick Chicago. It has always worked the best for everyone involved during the heyday of the IDL. Now, I am not sure how geographic spread has changed, as there were relatively few euros playing then, and maybe by comparison now we have a lot more overseas candidates.

Providers I don't know anything about. I'm sure the bill footer would make an educated decision. It's only a Doom server after all. I can't imagine it's very sensitive unlike say, a CS 128 tick server would be.

Zakken

• Hall of Famer
  • Welcome 2 Your Own Death
    • View Profile
    • nhentai
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 07:10:06 PM »
If the current NJ/NY hosts are good and stable enough for the months to come, then go for an IL server. c:

Water

• Albino
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 07:20:16 PM »
I voted for IL because that server you linked somehow pings better than NJ... idk how...

DemonSphere

• Walk into it
  • Hall of Famer
  • WDL Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 07:31:56 PM »
It's been decided. Dedicated will be a Chicago based server. Thanks for voting! Also I'd like to thank Water for helping me with my barrage of questions through out the past three days.

capo

• Banned
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • FW ON TOP!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 05:53:05 AM »
Good job on getting Dedicated server DS. This is deffinitely good for WDL.  ;D

PerroNDoN

• Veteran
  • #PrayforPerroNDoN
    • View Profile
    • My tracks and projects
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 05:05:01 PM »
Im voting for TX, im mexican and that gives me a good ping... Also if chicago wins... thats good too, i got a good ping there

DemonSphere

• Walk into it
  • Hall of Famer
  • WDL Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 08:55:16 AM »
Our order is currently being "processed" and I'm awaiting an email response from support on an estimated time for our server to be up. Sadly I'm not sure if this will be up in time for week 2, all depending on how long it takes them to get us setup, so patience is key here. Thanks!
UPDATE: We MAY have a live server by the end of the day if everything goes well!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 11:29:43 AM by DemonSphere »

DemonSphere

• Walk into it
  • Hall of Famer
  • WDL Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 05:33:23 AM »
The severs are up as WDL Server 5 and IL Priv. There's also a ZDDL duel rotation server  :D! There seems to be somewhat of a spike around 11pm/midnight and I'm not sure exactly what's causing it, it may be someone on the same rack doing some serious backups around that time. It's not a constant chugging going on or anything super major like that, no packet loss occurs but to completely pinpoint what it may possibly be (if even fixable) Maybe one or two of you one night we practice or play priv on there if you could run something like WinMTR and export that to a .txt that would be GREAT.  8)